Need legal help? We're a team of friendly efficient Queensland legal experts.
Call us 24 hours 07 3733 0901 Contact Us

If I own property with my spouse, can I give my interest under my will to someone other than my spouse?

If you own the property as joint tenants the answer is no. On the face of it, joint assets cannot be included as specific gifts under your will. If however, you own property as ‘tenants in common,’ under your will you can gift the interests that you own in the property to anyone you wish.